Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 2 - Berlin

May 4th

Day two of the Berlin trip started out very early for me. I woke up in the middle of the night but then tried to read myself back to sleep. By 4:30 I couldn't take it, I got up and walked around the city for a bit. Throughout the trip I was struck by the contrast in architecture. The dichotomy of the old and new.. the beautiful ornate buildings of the past sitting right next to the more modern, blocky and efficient structures that seem to dominate current German structures. Plus it was lovely to be up so early, without people around to explore this mysterious place.





Later in the day my brother and I decided to move to a cheap hotel. As I said, I love hostels, but both of us had expensive equipment that we didn't feel comfortable sitting out in a room full of strangers.

After we settled in, we decided to visit the a piece of the Berlin wall.








It was definitely a mind blowing experience, thinking about how recently Communism dominated East Berlin. My brother interviewed people around the site that had experienced life during the wall. In need of some light-hearted tourism, we walked around the city for the rest of the day and took in the sites.





We had done a lot and we were getting extremely tired. (as you will be able to tell by the images) We grabbed a Berlin specialty, currywurst and headed back to the hotel. Which happened to be extremely long trek as it was on the very outskirts of town. When we arrived, there was a crib in our room..







No comments:

Post a Comment